The french Bi-plane was invented by Gustave Delage following the success the of the Nieuport 17.

The fighter Aircraft went into production in the summer of 1917. The Nieuport was also supplied to the British and the Russians during the First World War.

The French designed aircraft was also used as an advanced trainer and also built in England for the Royal Navy Air service.